Registration for the Fall Conference begins in late September 2016.
Each year on the campus of Notre Dame, the Center hosts its interdisciplinary Fall Conference, the most important venue for truly fruitful dialogue and exchange among the world's leading Catholic thinkers, as well as those from other traditions, on pressing and vexed questions of ethics, culture, and public policy. The Conference annually attracts more than six hundred participants and features more than one hundred paper presentations in disciplines ranging from philosophy, theology, political theory, and law to history, economics, science, and the arts.
Our 17th annual Fall Conference, "You are Beauty: Exploring the Catholic Imagination," will consider “aesthetic contemplation sublimated in faith” (“Letter to Artists,” Pope St. John Paul II), exploring the relationship between the imagination, beauty, truth, and religion in a variety of contexts, particularly the arts, music, architecture, literature, philosophy, theology, political theory, and the sciences.
Featured speakers at this year's conference include:
- Etsuro Sotoo, sculptor of the Nativity Façade of the Sagrada Família Basilica, Barcelona, Spain
- Alasdair MacIntyre, Senior Distinguished Research Fellow, Center for Ethics and Culture, University of Notre Dame
- Mary Ann Glendon, Learned Hand Professor of Law, Harvard University, and former U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See
- Sir Roger Scruton, philosopher of aesthetics and author of more than 40 books
- Elizabeth Lev, art historian, Pontifical Academy of St. Thomas Aquinas, Rome, Italy
- Monsignor Timothy Verdon, director of the Diocesan Office of Sacred Art and Church Cultural Heritage and the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo, Florence, Italy
The 17th annual Fall Conference will take place November 10 - 12, 2016 at the University of Notre Dame. Registration begins in late September 2016.
Find information regarding past conferences and lecture videos at the links below.
- 2015: For Freedom Set Free
- 2014: Responding to the Cry of the Poor
- 2013: The Body and Human Identity
- 2012: Exploring the Many Facets of Justice
- 2011: Radical Emancipation
- 2010: Younger Than Sin
- 2009: The Summons of Freedom
- 2008: The Family
- 2007: Dialogue of Cultures
- 2006: Modernity
- 2005: Joy in the Truth
- 2004: Epiphanies of Beauty
- 2003: Formation and Renewal
- 2002: From Death to Life
- 2001: A Culture of Life
- 2000: A Culture of Death